Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's All In The Sauce

It was not until I started cooking more frequently that I began to really notice how much a good sauce can make or break a meal. This is especially true for BBQ Sauce. There are so many different variations of BBQ sauce that it is ridiculous. For me, and it may sound strange, but I like my sauce to be both sweet and spicy. I like a tomato based sauce with a sweet taste but with a little kick on the back end. My favorite commercial sauce (if you can even call it that as you have to mail order it by check or pay pal) is Suck Creek Wings Spicy BBQ. Due to the time delay of having something shipped to you, and the spontaneity of my cooking adventures, the time had to come where I could make my own favorite sauce. After several attempts, I think I have got it. This is a nice BBQ sauce that has a sweet taste with just enough of a spicy kick at the end to make you take notice. It will go perfectly with the Boston Butt that is currently on the grill (more on that tomorrow).



Here is how it is done:

2 cups of ketchup
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/3 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce

Combine all ingredients except ketchup in a sauce pan and cook on medium until for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add ketchup and cook for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great sauce. I will definitely have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be giving this a try, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete