Saturday, March 6, 2010

Boston Butt


Boston Butt is just about my favorite thing to cook on the Big Green Egg. I would do it more often but it is truly an ordeal. This is my third one and both of my last two cooks were 21+ hours. They say that you do not need to add any additional charcol, but I have had to do that both of the last two times. Either way the result is excellent. I will get right into how I did this one.

First, I started at about noon on Thursday with a 6 lbs, bone-in, Boston Butt. I placed the butt in a tray and applied a coat of regular yellow mustard all over the meat. This is not really for taste, but rather to help the dry rub adhere to the meat. I then used a commercial dry rub (I am still out of Evan's Spice) and coated all sides of the meat.


I then wrapped the butt and the tray and stuck it in the fridge until it was time to put it on the grill. I wanted to have pulled pork sandwiches for when my father-in-law got into town around 6 pm on Friday night. So anticipating a 20 to 21 hour cook, plus time for cool down, I decided on putting the meat on the grill around 8:30 Thursday night.

For this butt, I decided to inject the meat with Canjun Injector's Creole Butter. This was the first butt that I ever injected, and to be honest, I am not sure that it made a ton of difference. The meat is always so moist and juicy when it comes off an egg after about 20 hours that I am not sure injecting makes a huge difference when you are cooking on an egg. Having said that, it was kinda fun and I will probably do it again in the futre because it is not that difficult and I am sure it can only help.


I then placed the butt on the grill fat side down with a drip pan below it filled with apple juice (again, not sure this makes much of a difference either). I think many people do this differently and place it on their fat side up, but you have to know your audience and my wife hates fat (yes, I have told her it is the best part) and so I just can't help but think that if I let that slab of fat melt all the way through the meat (as delicious as that sounds) she will not be as big of a fan.


The next 15 hours or so was easy. I set my BBQ Guru to cook the meat at 220 degrees, until it reached an internal temperature of 200 degrees....and the Guru worked marvelously. I awoke the next morning to find the Egg just chugging along at 220 and the butt coming along nicely. The next part is where I always get in trouble. I left the house for a few hours and came back to check on the meat after it had been on the grill for about 18 hours. I decided to busy myself because it will drive you crazy to sit there and watch the meat hit the various plateaus and see the temperature rise quickly, stay stagnant for hours on end, drop back a little ,and then rise quickly again. I mean sometimes it seems like the meat will never get to 200 degrees.....but I digress. When I checked it after 18 hours, the fire was dying.....the flame was down to 170 degrees (Guru was blowing away to no avail) and the temperature of the meat had actually dropped.

So I had to take the butt out while I added more charcol to get the fire back going. This is always dissapointing to me, because I do not want to open the grill until it is done. From that point forward, which was about 3 more hours, I cooked the meat at 260 degrees becuase I was getting impatient.

Finally, after about 21 hours the Guru told me the food was ready!


The first time I ever cooked a Boston Butt on the egg, I thought I did something terribly wrong and burned the hell out of it. It was then that I let it cool and then pulled some of what I thought was burnt crust off the meat and tried it. What I found was the best tasting "bark" that I had ever eaten. I am not sure I had ever really had any bark before (the smoke charred outer crust that has some real juicy meat/fat attached to it as well), but from that moment on, I was in love.


So we let Butt rest for about an hour and then pulled it and covered it in my home made BBQ sauce and served with baked beans and mac & cheese. It was delicious. And I can already speak from experience, the leftovers are every bit as good!

8 comments:

  1. Really, is there anything better than a butt? I did two 7 lb butts this weekend. My only problem after pulling all of the meat at the end, I'm mysteriously full ;)

    For injections, I like using Chris Lilly's injection for pork shoulder. It's easy to make. Like you, I'm not sure HOW much difference it makes, but I like using it for insurance.

    As far as the cooking times, I'm a bit perplexed. I cook at a dome temp of 250f and average about 1.5 hours a lb and have never exceeded 2 hours a lb. I don't have a blower though, so maybe that changes something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you would cook your 7 lbs butt for about 12 to 14 hours? What internal temp do you cook the meat to? What are you cooking on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent,

    Looking good! So you like your BBQ Guru? I'm in the market for a new probe thermometer as my Maverick crapped out.

    My butts (I've done all of two) have taken longer than conventional wisdom (and Chris above) would indicate. I don't have any idea what to say about why that is, but I'm with you in terms of that feeling of disappointment when you have to load up more coal. On the eggheadforum.com folks have said you should get 24-30 hrs from one load, but I haven't figured that out yet.

    What sort of sauce are you using on your 'Q? As a NC resident, this is a big important decision. I don't care about your politics, but sparks will fly over bbq sauce.

    For various reasons I've not seen much of my Egg lately. You've inspired me. Hope to cook up something fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted an ealier post about the current BBQ sauce that I am making and using on just about everything. I actually like all kinds of sauce but I am currently in love with my homemade sauce that has a sweet initial taste with some back end heat. I also love all sauces done by Suck Creek Wings (www.suckcreekwings.com).

    I like the guru but cant help but feel like the fan blowing on an off every few seconds might lead to the coals burning a little quicker than they are supposed to and thus me having to reload the coals. I know that does not really make sense though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brent,

    Sorry, just saw your reply. I'm using a large BGE with lump. I'm not going by times but but temps. The meat log in this post gives an example:

    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/02/i-like-big-butts-and-i-cannot-lie.html

    I shoot for 195-ish as an internal temp, then double wrap with foil and put in an empty cooler for at least an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post. Sounds like you need a new gasket. With a well functioning gasket and a Guru, you won't have to reload fuel for this cook. Faced the reload headaches myself till I installed a new gasket. I put in a "nomex" gasket myself, though I'd look into a better gasket as this one certainly was not Nomex, and will have to be replaced again after three year's use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of nomex gaskets and installation, there's a company out there at www.high-que.com that sells high temperature gaskets with an adhesive tape. It's a lot easier to install and I've been happy with mine so far.

    ReplyDelete