Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Cheese" Burgers & Dark Beer Brats & Homemade Fries!


I have not updated this blog in 2 weeks and there are a couple reasons for that. First, while I have still been cooking with the normal frequency, I have been cooking many of the same things that I have already posted on, and I cannot find a reason to repost these meal descriptions. Second, I have been out of town with the family on Spring Break.

Well, we just got back into town and today is my daughters birthday so I wanted to grill out (of course the torrential rains and cold weather would return for the occassion). So I needed something that did not require a lot of preperation and something that I had not yet done so I could post something here.

I decided to try a couple new things. First were Dark Beer Brats that I read about in my BGE cookbook and the second was Burgers with homemade fries.

First thing I did was empty about 4 bottles of dark beer into a pot with about 6 brats and brought it to a boil. I cooked them for about 15 min until they were a nice grey color. I was careful not to overcook them so they did not split. I then transferred them to the grill over direct heat to char them up.

Next were the burgers. I called these "cheese" burgers because they are what my buddy calls middle burgers where he makes a thin patty then puts a slice of american cheese on it and then puts another thin patty on top of that and seals up the edges. These were excellent, with the only caution being that you must guard against making the burgers to big.....but then again, who really complains about a burger being to big used worcester, soy, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to season the ground chuck).

Finally, I cut about three potatoes into long strips and soaked them in cold water. I then coated them in olive oil and seasoned them with pepper and rosmary (the rosemary was the only deviation from the recipe from Macon Dinner. I cooked these in the over on about 450 degrees for nearly an hour because I like them crispy!


All in all I was very pleased with everything and currently feel like I will not need to eat again for 2 days.

3 comments:

  1. I love "juicy Lucy" burgers like you described! The fun thing about those is I don't think I've ever used the exact same cheese stuffing twice so far. Blue cheese, cheddar, American...it's all good!

    Glad that you are back posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Burgers. For some reason that heralds the arrival of warmer weather in my mind. My burger consumption goes through the roof in spring and summer.

    I'll have to try those fries. They sound awesome.

    Thanks too for the tip on the Suck Creek stuff. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, thanks for your posting and encouragement. I just checked out your blog and I had actually heard of it before but this was my first time to visit it. It is excellent and I am truly jealous of what a good cook you are. I find that I get into a rut of the same old stuff over and over. I will be watching both yours and Gray's site for some tips. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete