Monday, January 25, 2010

Beer Can Chicken

I have been out of town and missing the egg, so right on the heels of a big chicken wing lunch, I did a beer can chicken for dinner. This was my first beer can chicken and it was very easy and very tasty.

I used one whole chicken approx. 4lbs from Publix. I washed it and patted it dry prior to rubbing it down with EVOO. The next step was to rub the chicken down. You can use practically anything....or practically nothing depending on your tastes. It it all going to taste great. This time I used a liberal amount of John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler rub.



I then used about 3/4 of a Yeungling Light (trying to get rid of some stuff people left in my beer fridge) in stand designed for beer can chickens. Then cooked the bird for about 2 hours, or until it reaches 175 degrees in the breast. It was an indirect cook at about 300 degrees. I used Cherry Wood for the smoke flavor. Remember to add more rub down the neck of the chicken once you have it set up so it spills down the cavity of the bird and into the beer. This just adds to the flavor!



That is about it...the only thing left to do is to carve the bird and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment