Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baby Back Ribs!




I had the inlaws over to enjoy some baby back ribs prep for playoff Saturday! Baby Back Ribs are one of my favorite things to cook and my wife likes the variety you can do with them so we did three different types. I cooked 3 slabs of ribs total and did two slabs wet and one slab dry. Of the two wet slabs, I did one sweet and one spicy.

First, I removed the membrane from the backs of the ribs and cut each slab in half. Then I applied different dry rubs on all three slabs. On the slab that was going to remain dry, I used a liberal amount of Evans' Spice, which a buddy of mine makes and it is always excellent. On the two slabs that I would baste with BBQ sauce I used John Henrys dry rub (both the Alabama Butt Rub and the Pecan rub).

I used my BBQ guru for the first time and got the pit temp up to 220 degrees. I put the 6 half slabs in a v-rack for space and cooked indirect for 2 hours. I then pulled the ribs and wrapped them in aluminum foil. Prior to sealing up the aluminum foil, I poured apple juice in the bottom of the foil boat and sprinkled brown sugar and drizzed honey over the top of the ribs. I then put the six foil packets directly back on the grill grate to cook for another 2 hours at the same 220 degrees (gotta love not having to do anything with the temp thanks to the Guru....but watch for the dampeners and vents being too open and the temp rising!). After that, I unwrapped the ribs and put directly back on the grate for another 30-45 min and basted two of the slabs with BBQ sauce.

For the sweet ribs I used Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce and for the spicy, I used Suck Creek Wings spicy BBQ. If you have not heard of Suck Creek Wings, go to www.suckcreekwings.com, they make amazing wing sauce and BBQ sauce.

Overall, they were excellent and best enjoyed with a couple nice Titan IPA's (Great Divide Brewery)!

1 comment: