Monday, September 13, 2010

The Search for Perfect Chicken Wings


I love wings. I think they are easy to cook, relatively quick, and delicious. I love wings.

Having said that, I am constantly looking to improve my wing grilling skills. I find that I am constantly in a battle between smoking the wings for ideal tenderness and cooking them over direct heat for exterior crispiness. I know that I can do both during the same cook but that is a bit of a pain.

So this time, I did some BBQ wings and decided to smoke them but at a much higher temperature than I normally would.


I smoked the wings at about 325 (ish) for approximately 1 hour and 20 min. I was somewhat disappointed that the skins had not crisped up a little more (they were still a bit rubbery looking) so I removed the plate setter and then charred them up for abour 10 min over the open flame.


This did the trick and the wings were excellent after I tossed them in some BBQ sauce and served them hot. However I still came away feeling like there has to be a better way......thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I share your love of wings! My crispiest results have been from hitting the wings with a dry rub and letting them "air dry" on a rack in in the fridge for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen some people smoke them for an hour then deep fry them for just a few minutes. I haven't tried that.

    I fire roast mine at 375f for 1 hour and they usually come out crispy enough. I do them 30 minutes, flip, 20 minutes, toss in sauce and put them back on for 10 more minutes with the bottom vent all the way open letting the temp come up.

    Like Dave said, letting them dry in the fridge helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing some wings this weekend. I'm going to use some of these suggestions. Yum.

    ReplyDelete