Sunday, September 19, 2010

Meat Loaf!


The first (and maybe the only) non-Egg related post on this site is about my Mother's meat loaf. This happens to be the only non Egg item that I really cook, so this turn of events is really not all that surprising!

Here is the recipe and some pics from my favorite dish as a child (and today I must confess!).

Mix the following ingredients:
-1/2 tsp salt (heaping)
-1 tsp sage (heaping)
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 cup bread crumbs (heaping)
-1 cup milk
-2 eggs

For the sauce/topping, mix:
-1/4 tsp nutmeg (heaping)
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup ketchup
-3 squirts mustard


The add between 1 - 1/2 lbs of ground chuck.


At this point, you put/form the meat loaf into a loaf pan (?) and then spread on the topping. Then bake between 1 hour 15 min and 1 hour and 30 min. I cooked this one for exactly 1 hour and 15 min and it probably could have used another 15 min or so.


I must say that my Mother's meat loaf is always a little different than mine, so she is either not giving me the entire recipe or her constant use of the word heaping and her scientific measurements of "squirts" of mustard lead to a little bit of variation in recipes. Having said that, if you follow the above recipe to the T, then the outcome is a fantastic night of some of the best comfort food around.

2 comments:

  1. Mom knows best, right?

    There's nothing wrong with using that cook box in your kitchen every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meat loaf is one of my favorites as well. Just for future reference, it is great smoked as well.

    ReplyDelete